Watertown to Develop Waterfront Revitalization Plan | Government

0

WATERTOWN – The city will finally have a plan in place to connect downtown to the riverfront.

On Monday night, the city council agreed to hire a Saratoga Springs firm, Behan Planning and Design, to develop a draft plan for the local Watertown Waterfront Revitalization Program, or LWRP.

The city first developed the LWRP plan in 2010, but it was never officially adopted.

Behan Planning and Design will update that plan and then city council will adopt it, senior planner Jennifer Voss said.

By doing so, the city will be eligible for grants to implement the plan’s recommendations.

The update is necessary because there have been many changes to areas along the Black River since the first document was written more than a decade ago, Ms Voss said.

A state grant pays for the work that will be done to finalize the plan. Behan will receive $60,000 to implement the update.

The grant will cover approximately 80% of the cost. The remaining 20% ​​will be paid using previously budgeted matching funds, as well as other funds from the current city budget.

Three other companies submitted proposals to the city, but a city advisory board agreed that Behan was the most qualified.

Behan was selected because the firm has previous experience writing LWRP plans, unlike the other three, Ms. Voss said.

Developing an LWRP plan “is a challenge,” so it was important to retain a company with previous experience, she said.

The plan will take approximately 18 months to complete.

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Share.

Comments are closed.