Link: Apply Now for the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card (this is the best publicly available offer for the card, and we appreciate your support if you use our link)
There’s a lot to learn about the new Capital One Venture X Rewards credit card, given that it marks Capital One’s entry into the premium credit card space. A lot of people apply (and are approved) for the card, so there are a lot of benefits to be discovered.
One perk that people look for with a premium credit card is good rental car protection, and that’s something Capital One Venture X offers. In this article, I wanted to discuss the card car rental protection in more detail. This nicely complements the card offering Hertz President’s Circle status, as well as the card offering 10x Venture miles on car rentals booked through Capital One Travel.
What rental car coverage does Capital One Venture X offer?
Capital One Venture X offers Primary Collision Damage Insurance (CDW) coverage for car rentals, in the United States and internationally. There are a few basic terms to know, as you might expect:
- This coverage reimburses you for damage caused by theft or collision, up to the actual cash value of the rental vehicles with an original manufacturer’s warranty of up to $ 75,000 when new; in addition, loss of use charges valid by the car rental company, as well as reasonable and customary administrative costs and towing costs, are covered
- This coverage does not apply to expensive, exotic and vintage cars, vans, vehicles with an open dumpster, trucks, motorcycles, mopeds, motorcycles, limousines and recreational vehicles.
- This coverage does not cover any other type of loss, such as damage to another driver’s car or personal injury.
- To take advantage, review the car rental agreement and decline the rental company’s collision insurance option or similar provision.
- Rental periods of up to 15 consecutive days are covered in your country of residence, or rentals of up to 31 consecutive days are covered outside your country of residence; this benefit is in effect as long as the rental car is in your control and ends when the rental company takes over control of the vehicle
- Coverage is not valid in Israel, Jamaica and the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland
- Coverage applies when you pay for your rental with Capital One Venture X (either in cash or by redeeming Capital One miles); this applies to both primary cardholders and authorized users, and coverage applies to you as the primary renter of the car, as well as any additional drivers authorized by the car rental agreement
You’ll want to check out the full Capital One Visa Infinite Benefits Guide for full details, as they are subject to change and there are other restrictions.
How do I file a rental car claim with Capital One Venture X?
In the unfortunate event that you actually need to use Capital One Venture X car rental coverage, what should you do?
- If you have an accident or your vehicle is stolen, immediately call the Benefits Administrator at 1-800-825-4062 to report the incident (outside of the US, you can call collect at 1-804 -965-8071)
- Report the theft or damage as soon as possible, but no later than 45 days from the date of the incident
- You will then need to file a claim and ask the car rental company for several documents, including a copy of the accident report, a copy of the initial and final car rental agreement, a copy of the repair estimate and detailed repair invoice. , two photographs of the damaged vehicle (if available), a police report (if available) and a copy of the letter of formal notice which indicates the cost for which you are responsible
- You will then need to submit the above documents, along with some additional documents, within 90 days of the date of the theft or damage, even if the other required documents are not yet available.
- Additional documents needed include a copy of your monthly billing statement (showing the last four digits of your account number) that shows the transaction was completed with your eligible account, and any other documents required by the Benefits Administrator to justify the claim
- Your claim will generally be finalized within 15 days of receipt by the Benefits Administrator of all the documents necessary to substantiate your claim.
How does this compare to the rental car coverage offered by other cards?
For those wondering how the car rental coverage offered by Capital One Venture X compares to coverage offered by other premium cards, let’s compare the coverage to some popular competitors:
I think it’s also important to point out that even the primary Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) does not fully cover you – it is not a comprehensive insurance policy. It covers you for damage to your car, but does not cover damage to other cars, or bodily injury. People can be covered for this with their personal insurance, but for those who don’t have a personal insurance policy that covers rentals, you may want to pay for higher premium protection, in the unlikely event. where another car would be damaged or if there would be injuries.
At the end of the line
Capital One Venture X offers Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage in the United States and most countries overseas, for primary cardholder and authorized users. This is a big plus for premium credit cards that a lot of people enjoy, so hopefully the above is a helpful summary of how it works. Capital One’s rental car coverage policy is very competitive.
And of course, that’s just one of the many benefits of the card, as it also offers benefits like $ 300 annual travel credit, 10,000 bonus anniversary miles, access at Capital One lounges, Priority Pass membership and incredible benefits for authorized users.
What do you think of Capital One Venture X’s rental car coverage policy?